- MASP Build-a-Brain PD
April 26, 2018
1:15 pm - 3:00 pm
Please join us in person or via webcast for a professional development opportunity prior to the MASP Annual General Meeting. Keith Moen, a School Psychologist with the Louis Riel School Division, will teach participants on how to offer an interactive classroom lesson entitled “Build-a-Brain”. The Build-a-Brain presentation aims to teach a model of self-regulation skills. As a Tier 2 intervention, he will share the rationale for this classroom lesson, the theoretical and research support for the model, and the intended outcomes. Participants will learn through experiencing the lesson as it is taught in the class.
In part one the participants will be guided to build a model of one hemisphere (half) of a brain, identifying six parts: the cerebrum, pre-frontal cortex, brain stem, cerebellum, hippocampus, and amygdala. While making the brain parts, their function will be explored through questions and discussion.
In part two the participants will learn through stories and demonstrations how the brain parts interact to help protect us with the fight/flight/freeze reaction. Further, it is identified how there are times we need to change our reactions into a decision. One method to turn a reaction into a decision is by focusing on our breath. A four-count breathing circle is taught and practiced with the class.
The participants will make their own brain model; learn how to facilitate this class in their schools; receive a brain map, posters and pocket-sized images of the breathing circle; and free access to the PowerPoints and other resources used for this lesson.
Costs and other Details:
- Free to attend!
- For paid MASP members only (remember to login first).
- You may apply or renew your membership online now or at the PD and MASP AGM.
- Parking cost will be covered by MASP. You must check in at the front desk of the hotel to obtain a parking pass and park in the designated parking lot for the hotel.
- If you register to attend via webcast by April 20th, you can receive the Build-a-Brain materials via mail.
- This registration page is for attendance of the Build-a-Brain PD only. If you wish to attend the MASP AGM, then you must also register here.
Venue Phone: (204) 775-5222
Venue Website: http://www.fourpointswinnipegairport.com/Address:
- Have attendees pull up to the front doors of the hotel, exit the vehicle, enter the hotels’ front lobby area
- Advise Front Desk Agent the company name of the meeting they are attending
- The Front Desk Agent will provide the parking pass once the $5.00 flat rate fee is received. Overnight Parking is $10.50 per vehicle and will be added onto the guest room folio.
- The attendees may then proceed to the back parking lot located directly behind the hotel to park for the duration of their meeting.
- We have no authority over any other parking lot on airport campus, and all other lots charge $4.00 an hour so please ensure to park in the hotels parking lot directly behind the hotel.