The school psychologist serves the district by engaging in planning, implementing, and delivering prevention programs for the full spectrum of mental health problems affecting schools, including violence prevention and crisis response.
- ASIST Training
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) is a two-day interactive workshop in suicide first aid. ASIST teaches participants to recognize when someone may have thoughts of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety.
- Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention
Provides upcoming conference information, media guidelines, and resources relating to suicide prevention, loss, and grief.
- Canadian Centre for Threat Assessment and Trauma Response
Offers training, conferences, and provides links to related publications. Signing up for e-alerts provides immediate information about recent events/crises along with relevant resources and guidelines. Manitoba-specific protocols for crisis response are also accessible on their website.
- Healthy Child Manitoba: Best Practices in School-Based Suicide Prevention
This guide is intended to provide a framework to help school administrators and their partners develop comprehensive planning for suicide prevention.
- Klinic Community Health Training
Suicide prevention training workshops and other learning opportunities are listed here.
- Listen, Protect, Connect – Model and Teach: Psychological First Aid for Teacher and Students
Printable tip sheets for teachers that emphasize how to support students in the event of a crisis.
- Making Space for Learning
A free downloadable PDF, along with other resources, on supporting children with trauma in the school system. Developed by the Australian Childhood Foundation.
- Manitoba Crisis/Non-Crisis Regional Contacts
A list of contact information that is specific to the province and its regions.
- MATC Teen Mental Health Toolkit
Healthy Child Manitoba has developed this toolkit to provide relevant, stakeholder-driven, accessible resources for first-contact providers working with youth who have common mental health concerns.
- NASP: School Safety and Crisis
Several Resources are available to the public in order to promote the ability of children and youth to cope with traumatic or unsettling events.
- Psychological First Aid for Students and Teachers
A U.S. Department of Education resource that includes tip sheets for school emergency management and how to respond to students in times of crisis.
- School Crisis Guide: Help and Healing in a Time of Crisis
This step-by-step resource created by educators for educators can make it easier for union leaders, school district administrators, and principals to keep schools safe — before, during and after a crisis.
- Tips for Talking With and Helping Children and Youth Cope After a Disaster or Traumatic Event
A guide for parents, caregivers, and teachers from Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).